In its unbelievable 9th year, the cult classic ‘Hell of the Northcote’ is a fun ride across, through, over and under Melburn’s bumpiest cobbled alleyways concluding with a lap of the glorious Brunswick outdoor velodrome. This is a cycling event inspired by the grueling Queen of the Classics, the Paris-Roubaix ‘The Hell of the North’.
Armed with a map, musette and a pen riders plan their own route to find the cobbled sectors from East to West, and along the way get lost, stop for coffee, take photos, make friends, and discover a part of Melburn they never knew.
Old and new, young and old, ladies and gent, on bling bikes or beaters. Fixed or free, geared or singlespeed, one wheel or two, there is truly no other event which aligns all sects of the cycling religion for a ‘Sunday in Hell’ to explore this great city.
The route is different each year, less than 40km and a time of 6 hours is allowed to complete the course. Completing the course is not compulsory, no prizes are awarded for speed or athletic merit. This is not a race in any way, shape or form, just a hell of a lot of fun.
Registration is online and opens in 2014.
Sunday 29 June, 2014
Admission will be between 10am-11am. Provide your personalised bar code to get rider pack. Once you have collected your rider pack from the admission point, you may start at any time.
Use the form on this page when registration is open early 2014.
You must have a personal email address to ride and receive rider specific event information.
For the first week only (April 19 – 26) FYXO will allocate entries for anyone from interstate, overseas or outer space that is coming to town to ride. If registration is sold out, email us prior to April 26, 2013 and we’ll ensure you get a spot.
It may be because it’s sold out! Have you already used your email address to register?
There are no transfers or refunds.
The start location will be emailed to you one week prior to the event.
At the start location there will be a marquee set up to collect your Rider Pack. Each person registered is emailed an electronic ticket with a bar code. The bar code will be scanned to verify registration and you will be given a Rider Pack.
In your Melburn Roobaix rider pack you will find instructions, a map, a manifest of sector questions and a pen.
If you ride all 12 sectors along the suggested route the course is approximately 40 km. You have until 4pm to get to the finish for the prize raffle, which gives you 5 hours if you depart at 11am when registration closes. This should allow time time to get lost, find yourself, repeat your favourite sector, take photos, stop for coffee, and make new bike friends.
Completing all 12 sectors the course is not compulsory. You will be eligible for all raffle prizes except the major prize if you don’t complete all of the sectors. You must be present at the Velodrome to collect your prize. No prizes are awarded for speed or athletic merit. This is not a race. It is a hell of a lot of fun.
If you skip a sector, or get a question wrong you will still be eligible for all the prize raffles except for one.
Nothing. Not for second, third or any minor placing. You’ll be twiddling your thumbs at the velodrome a long time waiting for those who got lost, stopped for coffee, and made new friends along the way.
There will be prizes for categories such as Cutest Couple, Most Awesome Foursome, Hells Best ‘Hoopty’, Best on Ground and Furthest travelled, plus others.
Your bike and helmet at a minimum. A sense of humour is recommended. Other items might include: Cash, card or other monetary instruments. Phone or other communication device. Basic tools, pump and spare tube(s). Bike lock What should I ride? You can ride any type of bicycle you like. Bicycle, Tricycle, Unicycle or Tandem. New or old. Bring the bling or a beater. Fixed or geared. Big wheels or small. Fat tyres or skinny. Suspension or rigid. Absolutely any bicycle (except recumbents) is acceptable. For the safety of yourself and others it is recommend you have at least one hand brake.
You may get wet. The ride will go ahead rain, hail, or shine. It’s a long day outdoors so dress to suit the weather and you’ll have more fun. No one likes being cold or wet or both.
This is a self supported ride. If you can’t fix it yourself ask a fellow rider to come to your aid.
Phone a friend, stop and ask for directions, or call your Mum.
All participants are required to agree to the below terms and conditions of entry.
1. I am at least 18 years old and have read the conditions of entry for this event and understand the demanding physical nature of the event. I am not aware of any medical condition or impairment that will be detrimental to my health if I participate in this event. In the event that I become aware of any medical condition or impairment, or am otherwise sick or injured prior to the event, I will withdraw from the event.
2. I acknowledge that participating in this event may involve a real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including but not limited to: over exertion, dehydration, and accidents with other participants, spectators or road users.
3. I acknowledge that it is a condition of participating in this event that I do so at my own risk. I accept all risks and in consideration of my entry, I, my heirs, executors and administrators release and forever discharge FYXO, their employees, members, promoters, volunteers, servants, agents and subcontractors, instrumentalities, and all voluntary community groups assisting with this event, all sponsors producers their agents and representatives, and any person or body, directly or indirectly associated with the event of all liabilities, claims, damages or costs which I may have against them arising out of, or in any way connected with my participation in the event. I understand this waiver includes claims based on negligence, action, or inaction of any of the above parties. This release continues forever and binds my heirs, successors, executors, personal representatives and assigns.
4. I consent to the publication and or use in any form of media whatsoever of my name, image, voice, statements or otherwise, before, during or after the event whether for advertising, promotion or otherwise, without payment or compensation.
5. I agree that should the event be cancelled for any reason whatsoever, my entry fees will not be refunded and no liability of any kind whatsoever will attach to the organisers.
6. I agree that if I do not attend the event for whatever reason, I will not be entitled to any reimbursement of entry fees and forfeit any merchandise, prizes or giveaways associated with the event. Tickets are non transferable and non refundable.
7. I have carefully read this entry form and agree to abide by all the rules and directions of all event officials on the day of the event.
8. If signing for a person under 18 years of age, I certify that I am the parent/guardian of the ‘minor’ who will be participating on the day of the Event and will chaperone them on the day at all times. In consideration of the Event organiser accepting the minor’s application to participate in the Event, I agree to indemnify and shall keep indemnified the Organisers in respect of any losses they or any of them may suffer as a consequence of any claim/s by the minor and to the same extent as any other competitor indemnifies the Organisers pursuant to the above legal declaration.
9. I HAVE READ UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE. ALL ENTRANTS MUST AGREE TO THIS WAIVER (if under 18 parent or guardian of the entrant must be participating and agree)