In its unbelievable 9th year, the cult classic ‘Hell of the Northcote’ is a fun ride across, through, over and under Melburn’s bumpiest cobbled alleyways concluding with a lap of the glorious Brunswick outdoor velodrome.
This cycling event is inspired by the grueling Queen of the Classics, the Paris-Roubaix ‘The Hell of the North’.
Armed with a map, musette and a pen riders cover cobbled sectors from East to West and discover a part of Melburn they never knew.
Fixed or free, geared or singlespeed, one wheel or two, there is truly no other event which aligns all sects of the cycling religion for a ‘Sunday in Hell’ to explore this great city.
The 40km route is different each year with 6 hours allowed to complete the course. This is not a race in any way, shape or form, just a hell of a lot of fun.
Sunday 29 June, 2014
Admission will be between 10am-11am at the start location.
Will be announced on Friday June 13th via email.
Brunswick Velodrome - here.
Be at Brunswick Velodrome by 3.30 pm if you want to claim any prize in the prize ceremony.
Early Bird Registration will be at Coffee Supreme on Saturday 5 April / 9-12pm
Online registration will here on Friday 11 April at 9am EST.
A scavenger hunt on wheels of sorts, themed on the greatest single day race of them all – Paris Roubaix. Pronounced ROO-BAY, the Melburn version arms riders with a map, musette and a pen with a challenge of finding cobbled sectors from the East to West, discovering a part of the city rarely seen. Unplanned stops for coffee, stoping to take photos and getting lost are all part of the journey. There are no prizes for athletic merit as THIS IS NOT A RACE. Prizes for creative expression and pure luck are up for grabs.
If you ride all sectors along the suggested route the course is approximately 40 km. You have until 3.30pm to get to the finish for the prize raffle, which gives you 4.5 hours if you depart at 11am when registration closes. This should allow time time to get lost, find yourself, repeat your favourite sector, take photos, stop for coffee, and make new bike friends.
Guaranteed entry to the ride as there are no entries available on the day, a musette (cycling bag) with a map, manifest, pen, and other goods, the chance to win prizes on route including a return airfare to Paris, and as many have described the event, the best day on a bike – ever.
Online registration will open HERE on Friday 11 April at 9am EST and our PAYPAL payment gateway accepts all major credit cards.
You will receive an e-ticket to the email address supplied which can be printed as a physical ticket and produced on the day, or displayed on your smart device as a green alternative.
You must have a personal email address to ride and receive rider specific event information.
For the first week only (April 11 – 18) FYXO will allocate entries for anyone from interstate, overseas or outer space that is coming to town to ride. If registration is sold out, email us prior to April 18 and we’ll ensure you get a spot.
It may be because it’s sold out! You may only use one email address per registration.
Check your spam folder for emails from @fyxo.co. If you still cannot find anything, email us with your name, where and how you registered and a Paypal transaction ID.
Yes. If you have their First Name, Last Name, Email and can pay for their registration.
There are no transfers.
There are no refunds.
There are limited spaces available.
The field size is limited and riders who are tag along that aren’t registered affect the planning, logistics and add to the congestion of the ride.
While we cannot stop anyone from riding in the event, unregistered riders that are effectively participating are also not covered for personal injury, public liability, do not receive the rider pack and its contents, nor are they eligible for the fantastic prizes on offer including a flight to Paris.
Cycling Victoria provides insurance to registered riders for personal injury and public liability.
The start location will be emailed to you one week prior to the event.
At the start location there will be a marquee set up to collect your Rider Pack. Each person registered is emailed an electronic ticket with a bar code. The bar code will be scanned to verify registration and you will be given a Rider Pack.
Your rider pack is a musette (bag) containing a map with the course route, a manifest of checkpoint questions, a pen to write with, a snack to eat when you get hungry, and an event spoke card. Other giveaways may be scored along the way on the day.
In your Melburn Roobaix rider pack you will find instructions on the reverse of the map.
Completing all 12 sectors the course is not compulsory. You will be eligible for all raffle prizes except the major prize if you don’t complete all of the sectors. You must be present at the Velodrome to collect your prize. No prizes are awarded for speed or athletic merit. This is not a race. It is a hell of a lot of fun.
If you skip a sector, or get a question wrong you will still be eligible for all the prize raffles except for one.
Nothing. Not for second, third or any minor placing. You’ll be twiddling your thumbs at the velodrome a long time waiting for those who got lost, stopped for coffee, and made new friends along the way.
There will be prizes for categories such as Cutest Couple, Best on Ground, Dirtiest rider and more.
Your bike and helmet at a minimum. A sense of humour is recommended. Other items might include: Cash, card or other monetary instruments. Phone or other communication device. Basic tools, pump and spare tube(s). Bike lock for securing your bike is never a bad idea. Lights for the ride home.
You can ride any type of bicycle you like. Bicycle, Tricycle, Unicycle or Tandem. New or old. Bring the bling or a beater. Fixed or geared. Big wheels or small. Fat tyres or skinny. Suspension or rigid. Absolutely any bicycle (except recumbents) is acceptable. For the safety of yourself and others it is recommended you have at least one working hand brake.
You may get wet. The ride will go ahead rain, hail, or shine. It’s a long day outdoors so dress to suit the weather and you’ll have more fun. No one likes being cold or wet or both.
This is a self supported ride. If you can’t fix it yourself ask a fellow rider to come to your aid.
Phone a friend, stop and ask for directions, or call your Mum.
All participants are required to agree to the below terms and conditions of entry.
1. I am at least 18 years old and have read the conditions of entry for this event and understand the demanding physical nature of the event. I am not aware of any medical condition or impairment that will be detrimental to my health if I participate in this event. In the event that I become aware of any medical condition or impairment, or am otherwise sick or injured prior to the event, I will withdraw from the event.
2. I acknowledge that participating in this event may involve a real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including but not limited to: over exertion, dehydration, and accidents with other participants, spectators or road users.
3. You acknowledge and agree that insurance is in place by Cycling Victoria for personal injury and public liability (up to $20,000,000) whilst participating in Melburn Roobaix. You understand that this insurance may not cover you for all injury, loss or damage sustained by you in participating in Melburn Roobaix and you acknowledge that FYXO does not make any representations about the suitability of Cycling Victoria’s insurance. You also agree that you can, in your own interests and at your own expense, seek and obtain personal insurance over and above the cover provided by Cycling Victoria.
4. I acknowledge that it is a condition of participating in this event that I do so at my own risk. I accept all risks and in consideration of my entry, I, my heirs, executors and administrators release and forever discharge FYXO, their employees, members, promoters, volunteers, servants, agents and subcontractors, instrumentalities, and all voluntary community groups assisting with this event, all sponsors producers their agents and representatives, and any person or body, directly or indirectly associated with the event of all liabilities, claims, damages or costs which I may have against them arising out of, or in any way connected with my participation in the event. I understand this waiver includes claims based on negligence, action, or inaction of any of the above parties. This release continues forever and binds my heirs, successors, executors, personal representatives and assigns.
5. You are fully responsible for the security of your personal possessions during the event including your bike and other valuable items and including items left in the H A Smith / Brunswick Velodromes. You agree that FYXO is not responsible or liable for the repair or replacement of any personal possessions whether lost, damaged, stolen or otherwise.
6. I consent to the publication and or use in any form of media whatsoever of my name, image, voice, statements or otherwise, before, during or after the event whether for advertising, promotion or otherwise, without payment or compensation.
7. I agree that should the event be cancelled for any reason whatsoever, my entry fees will not be refunded and no liability of any kind whatsoever will attach to the organisers.
8. I agree that if I do not attend the event for whatever reason, I will not be entitled to any reimbursement of entry fees and forfeit any merchandise, prizes or giveaways associated with the event. Tickets are non transferable and non refundable.
9. I have carefully read this entry form and agree to abide by all the rules and directions of all event officials on the day of the event.
10. If signing for a person under 18 years of age, I certify that I am the parent/guardian of the ‘minor’ who will be participating on the day of the Event and will chaperone them on the day at all times. In consideration of the Event organiser accepting the minor’s application to participate in the Event, I agree to indemnify and shall keep indemnified the Organisers in respect of any losses they or any of them may suffer as a consequence of any claim/s by the minor and to the same extent as any other competitor indemnifies the Organisers pursuant to the above legal declaration.
11. I HAVE READ UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE. ALL ENTRANTS MUST AGREE TO THIS WAIVER (if under 18 parent or guardian of the entrant must be participating also and agree to the above terms and conditions)