I think that’s what Eddy said? Or was it ‘Don’t buy upgrades…’
The Columbus tubed beauty featured is ‘Straight outta Belgium’, and comes weeks after Eddy Merckx announced the Eddy70 – a run of 70 bicycles to celebrate Eddy Merckx’s birthday pictured below.
Happy Birthday, Eddy!
For those few with a sizeable chunk of change burning a hole in their knicks, you can be the owner of one of a series of 69 of these Columbus XCR framesets, Campagnolo’s creme de la creme components, and a range of other options including Eddy’s own signature on a card and in a book. On a pedantic note, I can spy three details that are a little ‘off’ in the photo above. Can you pick them? (Pedals is not one).
It’s a very nice bike, but it fails to turn my crank. Not like a classic from 30 years prior.
This build is for a returning customer, looking to upgrade his fyxomatosis Colnago.
He spied the Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra track frame and gave the brief of a ‘dream build’ with a requisite of a brake as per his previous bike.
The frameset had been resprayed in ‘Llewellyn Azul’ by Sungraphics and is stunning. Originally equipped with a chrome pista fork, I scoured the earth and the entire internet for a flat crown Eddy Merckx road fork so this could be used as a ‘street legal’ fix. To do so meant purchasing another frame and fork, parting it out, and sending the fork to the platers. Back from chrome it’s a sterling addition to the front end.
The road fork allows for the clearance and drop required for a caliper, it is drilled to suit and with a little more rake gives a more relaxed ride.
I could think of no better brake than a Super Record Cobalto caliper to compliment the blue of the frame and a pair of C Record brake lever hoods to balance the front end.
This came up a treat – or a dream if you will.
Full gallery of photos at the top.
Shot at Farm Vigano, nestled in the picturesque Plenty George NP.
- Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra PISTA 57cm
- Eddy Merckx flat crown road fork
- Cinelli XA ‘EDDY MERCKX’ stem 120mm
- Cinelli Giro D’Italia 40cm bars
- Campagnolo C Record brake levers
- Campagnolo Super Record steel headset
- Campagnolo Super Record 27.2 seat pillar
- Selle San Marco Rolls saddle
- Campagnolo Super Record bottom bracket (ITA)
- Campagnolo Super Record 165mm Pista Cranks
- Campagnolo Super Record Strada pedals
- Cinelli alloy toe clips
- Campagnolo Super Record 47t 1/8 Pista chainring
- Campagnolo Super Record low flange track hubs
- Campagnolo lock ring
- 19t 1/8 track cog
- HKK Vertex Silver and Gold chain
- TB-14 Rims
- Challenge Elite tyres
- Filtered Air in tubes